The Church of Saint Martin-in-the-Fields
8000 Saint Martin's Lane (corner of Saint Martin's Lane & Willow Grove Avenue)
Philadelphia, PA 19118
Site Created August 26, 2001
Church of Saint Martin-in-the-Fields is in the fashionable Chestnut Hill
section of Philadelphia. The area was developed largely by Mr. Henry Howard
Houston and his son-in-law, Dr. George Woodard during the early part of
the twentieth century. The church was built by the Houston family
for the people moving into the houses being built in Chestnut Hill.
The architects for the church were G.W and D.W. Hewitt the church was
built in 1888. In the year 2000 the interior of the church was returned to its original appearance
during a careful restoration.
The Church of Saint Martin-in-the-Fields is notable for having seventeen bells hanging in its spire. Nine of the bells make up a chime and eight of the bells are hung for English Change Ringing.
To hear the sound of the change ringing bells of The Church of Saint Martin-in-the-Fields, click the image of the bell below.